Describe the life learning experience in your narrative essay. It must be a real-life story visualizing the things that have ever happened to you.
What is a Narrative Essay?
There are many ways to describe what a narrative essay is. However, it is easy to provide a definition of a narrative essay by looking at some of its important characteristics:
1. A narrative story. A narrative essay is a form of writing that describes an event or a person. It is through this form of writing that a writer tells a particular story to the audience. Therefore, it is easy to understand what a narrative essay is by simply visualizing it as a form of a story that exists in a written form.
2. Involvement of the reader. The second aspect that makes a narrative essay distinctive is that the writer seeks to involve the reader or the audience in the story. Just as it is the case when a narrator tells a story orally, a writer of a narrative essay seeks to catch and maintain the attention of the reader. Catching and maintaining the attention of the reader is the second most important characteristic that defines a narrative essay.
Narrative Essay Outline
Learning about the outline of a good narrative essay will help you to improve the way you write your own essays. Check out our narrative essay example to have a clear picture of what your own essay should look like.
There is actually no single rigid structure of how a narrative essay should be written. However, there are a few things that we need to learn about the general outline of a winning narrative essay:
Introduction. Any good form of writing must have an introduction. Similarly, a narrative essay usually has an introduction. It is in this part that the writer introduces the event that he or she is writing about. If you don’t have a clue which topic to choose for your narrative essay – read the list of TOP 70 Narrative Essay Topics and choose what to write about in your narrative essay.
Body. It is in the body of the narrative that the writer gets into details about the event or process that is being described. Therefore, we can see that the body forms the longest part of the narrative.
Conclusion. It is at this stage that the writer provides an ending of the story.
Read more about Narrative Essay Outline
How to Start a Narrative Essay
Once more, we should keep in mind that there is no fixed way of starting a narrative essay. However, there is one important thing about how to make a good starting when writing a narrative essay that we should remember at all times. The thing is to ensure that the opening sentence of the narrative is catchy.
The opening sentence should be used to inform the reader what the narrative is all about. The sentence should also catch the reader’s interest.
There are several reasons why we should use interesting openings in our narrative essays. Some of them are listed below.
1. Using a catchy opening helps to excite the interest and expectation of the reader. This will make them look forward to reading the rest of the story.
2. Using an interesting opening helps you have many ways of developing your story. It gives you a chance to present your story in an interesting way.
3. A good opening helps make your story memorable. Many people tend to remember stories that had good beginnings.
Narrative Essay Format
When writing a narrative essay a lot of work is related to the body of the essay. It is within the body of the essay that a writer describes events in detail. When doing the main body of your essay, you have to describe things in details because of two reasons:
- Describing things like how people were dressed and what they did makes the story more interesting.
- When you take a time to include more details in your story, you will have time to describe people and their feelings. This will help you have the room for completing your story.
There is one more thing about the body of your story that you should remember: start all your paragraphs with topic sentences. The topic sentences help create the tone or feel of your paragraphs. All the other sentences in the paragraph should support the topic sentence. Lastly, remember to include transition sentences in your essay. Transition sentences help the reader to follow the flow of your story quite easily.
How to Conclude a Narrative Essay
Finally, every good story must have a sound ending. Depending on what your essay is about, it may have a happy or a sad ending. Through the conclusion, you sum up the outcome of the actions that have been introduced in the introduction part of the essay and described in detail in the body section.